Car Accident Causes
When you suffer an injury in a car accident, our lawyers at Salter, Healy, Rivera strive to recover the maximum compensation possible for you. To do this, we must determine the all the possible car accident causes. Our experienced lawyers fully investigate your case to assess how the accident happened and identify the parties who could be held liable.
Driver Error is a Leading Factor in Florida Auto Accidents
The most common causes of auto accidents in Florida include:
- Distracted driving. Drivers who are preoccupied with sending text messages, talking on their cellphones, eating food or performing any other distracting activity are a severe danger on the road.
- Many drivers ignore speed limits but fail to realize that the faster they drive, the longer it will take when they need to come to a quick stop. Speeding also makes it more likely that drivers will lose control of their vehicles.
- Impaired driving. Drivers who are drunk or under the influence of drugs cause a high percentage of car accident deaths every year. Impaired driving is incredibly dangerous.
- Reckless driving. Drivers who change lanes too quickly, fail to use their turn signals or simply act too aggressively on the roads can easily cause severe accidents.
- Inclement weather. Rain, snow, fog and other types of bad weather situations make driving difficult. If drivers aren’t careful, their impaired vision or difficult road conditions caused by inclement weather can result in an accident.
- A driver’s impatience can be dangerous. Following a vehicle too closely reduces a motorist’s margin for error. A general rule of thumb to prevent dangerous situations is to allow one car length for every ten miles per hour you are driving.
- Poor road conditions. Potholes, uneven roads, construction zones, bumps and more can cause severe accidents if drivers are not careful.
- Mechanical failure. A car’s failure to perform properly can shift liability for an accident from the driver to the manufacturer. Accidents due to tire blowouts, defective brakes, faulty ignition switches, and stuck accelerator pedals have been linked to manufacturers in recent years.
All of these actions and conditions are dangerous. Be sure to stay safe by avoiding these situations or exercising care when you cannot.
Distracted Driving is a Growing Threat on Florida’s Roadways
These days, technology is everywhere, and people seem to be addicted to it. Traditionally, driver distractions have been food, drink or even passengers. But today, drivers are also often distracted by electronic devices such as:
- Cellphone calls
- Text messages
- Smartphone apps and email
- Car radios
- Speech-to-text systems
Avoiding an accident often requires a split-second decision, so any activity that takes a driver’s eyes or mind off of the road can be deadly.
The Dangers of Texting While Driving
The most dangerous use of a cellphone behind the wheel is sending or reading a text message. This diverts a driver’s attention for an average of five seconds, which at highway speed is enough time to drive the length of a football field. Florida law prohibits texting while driving. A first offense is a nonmoving violation, but subsequent infractions within five years are considered moving violations.
Car Accident Produce Serious Injuries
At Salter, Healy, Rivera, our trial lawyers fight to deliver the maximum compensation for your injuries. This is especially important with serious, life-altering injuries such as:
- Neck injuries. Whiplash is the neck injury most frequently suffered in car accidents, but even more serious neck injuries like disc injuries or cervical radiculopathy can occur. Neck injuries can have a drastic impact on your daily life if they go untreated.
- Severe head injuries. Concussions are among the most common car accident injuries and require immediate treatment. Traumatic brain injuries are particularly troublesome because many times there are no outward signs of trauma. But when the brain is severely bruised, a number of terrible consequences can arise.
- Back injuries. Back injuries suffered in car accidents range from simple sprains or strains to disc injuries, lumbar problems and fractures. The most serious types of back injuries often do not show up until days or even weeks after an accident and can cause lasting health complications. It is important to seek immediate treatment after suffering a back injury to preserve your long-term health.
- Burns. Serious car accidents can lead to severe burns, which require immediate medical attention. In some cases, skin grafts are necessary to prevent major disfigurement.
- Lacerations. Lacerations can occur on any part of the body due to broken glass from windows or windshields or from traumatic contact with any part of the car.
- Psychological trauma. After suffering an accident, many victims come away emotionally distraught, which is completely understandable. Many patients undergo therapy to help them move on after an accident.
When you suffer a serious personal injury, you need an experienced attorney who has shown an ability to deliver positive results for clients with injuries similar to yours.
Contact an Experienced St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer Today
At Salter, Healy, Rivera, we are passionate about obtaining full compensation for our injured clients. Our legal team has demonstrated time and again our commitment to fight in the courtroom to secure significant damages. Call our office or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. If your injuries prevent you from visiting our office, we will come to you.