St. Petersburg Personal Injury Attorneys
The St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys at Salter, Healy, Rivera are committed to getting full compensation for our clients. When you have a serious injury, it can really turn your life upside down and cause you financial hardship. We are here to help you pursue a personal injury case. You deserve compensation for your damages and we want to make sure the liable party is held accountable for their actions. After you’ve read about your case, please give us a call to set up a free consultation with our St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys to see how we can help you get the best result possible.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Represent
Personal injury is a term that covers a lot of different types of accidents. We represent a variety of personal injury cases that include:
- Bicycle accidents
- Bus accidents
- Car accidents
- Construction accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and falls
- Truck accidents
Every case is different and each type of personal injury requires specialized experience to handle it effectively. We have handled these types of cases for years and are confident to take on yours.Through principled negotiation and litigation in state and federal court, we have had great success obtaining damage settlements and jury awards to compensate our clients for medical bills, lost earnings, pain and suffering and other compensable losses.
If you have been injured in any of these kinds of accidents, please do not hesitate to reach out to our St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys to see what we can do for you.
Important First Steps for Any Case
One of the most important things to remember about a personal injury case is that your health is more important than anything else. You have to get to a medical professional to seek out treatment as soon as possible. Your injuries could get worse if you ignore them. You also want documented proof that your injuries were from your accident to show to the insurance company that their insured is, in fact, liable for your injuries.
Also, it is important, at the scene of the accident, to collect as much evidence as possible. You can take photos and get contact information from witnesses. You may want to collect video from any security cameras nearby that might have picked up the event and you should never leave the scene without some proof that you were there. That could be making an accident report or having the police come to the scene to fill out a report.
How Compensation Rules Work
Florida allows for you to receive compensation even if you are partially at fault for the accident. The way it works is that your role in the accident that caused your injury is deliberated and you are given a percentage from 0-100 that will account for your shared fault. If you are deemed 100% at fault, you will get no compensation. If you get 0% fault, you will receive full compensation. If you are somewhere in between, your award will be reduced. For example, if you have been deemed 20% at fault, and have been awarded $100,000 in damages, you will have it reduced to $80,000. We work very hard to keep you from getting pinned for any of the blame so that you get the fullest amount of compensation.
Florida Personal Injury Statute of Limitations
Statutes of limitations is the amount of time in which you can wait before pursuing a personal injury attorney. In Florida, for most personal injury cases, you have four years from the date of your injury to either bring your claim or settle it in civil court. Personal injury cases such as medical malpractice will have a shorter statute of limitations. To be sure about your time limits, contact our knowledgeable St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys as soon as possible to ensure you are on track to receive compensation.
Avoid Talking to the Liable Party’s Insurance Company
We want you to avoid being blamed for this accident and a huge part of that is making sure the insurance company that represents the liable party does not speak to you without us present. They will call you shortly after you are injured to see if you will give them a recorded statement. While they claim for it to be helpful to you, it will only be detrimental to your case. These representatives can be very amenable, especially in the first few encounters, as they attempt to persuade you that you don’t need an attorney to get a fair settlement. However, we can say with full confidence based on decades of experience that injured parties do substantially better when they have professional legal representation. The reasons you’re better off with a lawyer include:
- Knowledge of the law and procedure — If you’ve suffered a serious injury, do you really have the time and energy to learn everything you need to know to successfully prosecute a lawsuit?
- Experienced investigators — A lawsuit is not about what you know; it’s about what you can prove. An established law firm has access to skilled investigators and can use the discovery process to compel defendants to hand over important information.
- Knowledge of “what’s fair” for an injury like yours — Can you put a price on your injuries? An experienced attorney has knowledge of prior settlements and jury awards for cases like yours and can use that knowledge to leverage a fair settlement.
- Negotiating strength — Retaining a lawyer with a track record of successful cases sends a strong signal that you expect the maximum amount possible for your injuries.
- No costs to you — There are serious costs to prosecuting an injury lawsuit, and defendants use delaying tactics to drive those costs up. If you are out of work and are having trouble meeting your medical bills, can you really afford to finance your litigation? Fortunately, our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means there are no upfront costs to you, and you pay us nothing until you recover compensation through a settlement or jury award.
Call Our Office Today for a Free Consultation
If you are seeking compensation for an accident, please do not hesitate to call our office to set up a free consultation with our experienced St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys. We will make sure you are informed about your case, you know what steps you need to take, and you are on track to get the compensation you deserve. We want to make sure you have the best shot at full compensation. Please call us today to get started on your personal injury case.